Saturday 9 May 2015

Mallorca 70.3 - sorta like Tottenham Hotspur

Mallorca 70.3 - sorta like Tottenham Hotspur

3,500 competitors, the largest 1/2 distance in the world. Sells out eons in advance - the guy who did the briefing said "most of you booked this so long ago that when you booked it the finishers shirt size you put on the booking probably isn't the size you are now". How true, I put Large, I ain't now...

Amazing support from the locals and the tourists, thousands upon thousands turning out to clap us round, kids setting up impromptu water gun stations and squirting the overheating runners, cheers and claps all the way round the run, just brilliant.

Felt really relaxed at the start, just a few little nerves, more excited to get going that anything else. Almost 20 start groups today at 5 minute intervals, we are almost at the very back. Swimming, well, I'm not brilliant - more a slow and steady swimmer - neat, efficient, but not super quick. Deliberately stayed a bit more "in the mix" this time, stayed on the racing line and was happy to be bumped and bashed, all good experience. Aimed for a 40 minute swim for the 1.9km, did 38 mins, equal to my PB, can't be unhappy with that. Was always going to be the weakest discipline for me though, coming 369th / 457 in age group, 2256 / 3500 overall.

Onto the bike, feeling fresh and relaxed. Now officially IM is no drafting - you are not allowed within 10m of the bike in front. Well, thats all well and good until you stick 3,500 bikes on the same bit of road... The game that everyone seemed to be playing was "sorta try to look like you are not blatantly drafting, especially if you hear the officials motorbike coming up behind you". The officials seemed relaxed about it though, they knew it was impossible not to draft. Loved going up the col, a 10km climb averaging 5.5% - passed hundreds upon hundreds of other riders going up there, counting 4 coming past me. I was aiming to do a 3 hour bike and did... 3hr 1 minute. But still not my strongest discipline... 280th / 457 age group, 1632 / 3500 overall. I refuse to engage in the triathlon bike arms race, stupid stupid money being spent on buying a few minutes of time. If I did that, sure I would be quicker, but that ain't gonna happen.

The run, well I always surprise myself on the run. Every time I train its slow, laborious, hard work but the three races have all been great - non stop, fluid, always moving forward. Not super speedy but yet again the strongest of the disciplines! I was aiming to do a 1hr55, equal to my PB, but nailing the bike leg made the legs a bit sluggish for the first 10km, speeding up all the time to the end, streaming past loads of other runners, clocking 1hr59, 252th / 457 age group, 1562 / 3500 overall. So thats it, 252nd / 457 age group, 1537 / 3500 overall - I have officially risen to the heady ranks of mid table mediocrity - like Tottenham Hotspur....

Full Ironman 2 weeks away, its going to be emotional...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home